Be part of the AMC team, and work and live in beautiful northern Maine!
Multi-sport, outdoor destination unlike any other. Majestic, rustic and serene!
- Greenville, Maine
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Jan 04, 2018)
About AMC: Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) is America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization. We promote the enjoyment and understanding of the mountains, forest, waters and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions from Maine to Washington D.C. We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about and appreciate the natural world.
Summary Description: The Maine Woods Initiative (MWI) is the AMC’s strategy for land conservation in the 100-Mile Wilderness. The Initiative is an innovative approach to conservation that combines outdoor recreation, resource protection, sustainable forestry and community partnerships. To date, AMC has purchased and permanently conserved 70,000 acres of forest land, created over 120 miles of recreational trails, opened three sporting camps to the public, established an FSC-certified sustainable forestry operation and developed a partnership with local Piscataquis County schools.
The Regional Lodging & Guest Experience Manager (RM) is responsible for the year-round oversight of AMC’s three lodges in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine. This includes staff supervision, delivery of exceptional guest services and risk management. The RM will also work closely with program staff to develop appropriate programming to enhance the guest experience and also increase overall occupancy.
- Hire, supervise, train, evaluate and motivate seasonal and full-time staff. As a team leader, you will be the contact point for team members so your communication and facilitation skills should be excellent. You should also be able to act proactively to ensure smooth team operations and effective collaboration.
- Lead all MWI Lodge Managers in the year-round delivery of a warm, welcoming and safe atmosphere for all guests.
- Supervise the maintenance staff to ensure that all facilities are well maintained, operating efficiently and safely and coordinating with the Land Manager on road and trail needs.
- Collaborate with the MWI Operations Director to oversee capital improvement projects and manage external contractors.
- Provide friendly and attentive professional guest services.
- Represent the AMC and MWI at meetings, conferences, job fairs and trade shows.
- Implement energy conservation and environmentally sound practices in daily operations.
- Provide information to visitors and guests about the AMC, risk management, outdoor recreation opportunities and AMC land management practices.
- Maintain accurate financial records and control routine expenses based on an approved, annual operating budget.
- Attend off-site meetings as needed and as schedules permit.
- Assist in the development of short and long-range plans and operating and capital budgets.
- Assist in the development of marketing plans to promote MWI facilities and programs.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ years of demonstrated management ability, experience in facility management, staff supervision, hospitality services and/or related activities.
- Ability to supervise, manage and motivate employees to complete a diverse variety of work tasks and non-conventional work schedules. Strong group facilitation and team building skills are a must!
- Exceptional customer service skills and outgoing friendly attitude.
- Ability to hike, paddle, ski, snowshoe and instruct others in these activities as required.
- Ability to perform work in a remote camp setting and travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions, carrying up to 40 lbs. of gear.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain.
- Ability to use a computer to send and receive email and create Microsoft Word and Excel documents.
Employee Perks: This is a full time, year-round position with a great benefits package! Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered to our regular full-time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
- Group health plan with generous employer contribution
- Group life and AD&D insurance, 100 percent employer paid
- Long-term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid
- Retirement plan with matching contributions
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- Use of AMC facilities, free and discounted rates.
- Free AMC membership. AMC members receive AMC Outdoors magazine, a 20% discount on lodging, a 10% discount on retail goods and access to chapter events and activities.
Note that benefits may vary based on position and/or work schedule and are subject to change.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
How to Apply
Please complete our online application. Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter when applying. We look forward to hearing from you!