Be part of the AMC team, and work and live in beautiful northern Maine!
Multi-sport, outdoor destination unlike any other. Majestic, rustic and serene!
- Greenville, Maine
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Sep 12, 2017)
About AMC: Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) is America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization. We promote the enjoyment and understanding of the mountains, forest, waters and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions from Maine to Washington D.C. We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about and appreciate the natural world.
Summary Description: The Maine Woods Initiative (MWI) is the AMC’s strategy for land conservation in the 100-Mile Wilderness. The Initiative is an innovative approach to conservation that combines outdoor recreation, resource protection, sustainable forestry and community partnerships. To date, AMC has purchased and permanently conserved 70,000 acres of forest land, created over 120 miles of recreational trails, opened three sporting camps to the public, established an FSC-certified sustainable forestry operation and developed a partnership with local Piscataquis County schools.
The Lodge Manager is responsible for year-round operational management, delivery of guest services, risk management and maintenance at one of three of AMC’s high quality, full service, facilities in the Moosehead Lake Region of Maine. The Lodge Manager lives on site as needed in quarters provided at the facility, is the resident host for the site and is expected to support the delivery of AMC activities, programs and facility services. The Lodge Manager is responsible for the efficiency of the facility with a specific focus on crew supervision, total guest experience and facility operations. The remote setting requires backcountry skills in all seasons and an enthusiasm for living in and sharing a wilderness environment.
Priorities include, supervising crew, maintaining a safe and friendly atmosphere for all guests, fulfilling operational needs, supporting AMC’s programs and the mission of providing responsible outdoor recreation activities, education opportunities and conservation practices.
- Hire, supervise, train, evaluate and motivate staff. As a team leader, you will be the contact point for team members so your communication and facilitation skills should be excellent. You should also be able to act proactively to ensure smooth team operations and effective collaboration.
- Create staffing schedules to provide full coverage and excellent customer service.
- Provide friendly and attentive professional guest services.
- Provide safe transportation of guests to and from facilities, via company vehicle, as necessary.
- Maintain the neatness, operations and safety of facility grounds, systems, buildings, guest areas and kitchen at all times.
- Perform facility, vehicle and equipment maintenance as required.
- Carryout or coordinate facility construction projects using AMC personnel or contracted services.
- Procure supplies necessary to support operations using local and regional sources as availability and budget will allow.
- Oversee and assist with delivery of wholesome and varied meals within the budget limits.
- Operate the facility in compliance with required permits, licenses and standards.
- Serve as primary liaison with AMC Reservation, Sales, Marketing, Development, Programming, Education and Conservation staff.
- Implement energy conservation and environmentally sound practices in daily operations.
- Operate and maintain off-grid heat and electrical systems; work with local contractors to troubleshoot problems and improve facility operation as necessary.
- Oversee and promote appropriate retail sales and rentals, including product selection, purchasing, inventory management and display maintenance.
- Provide information to visitors and guests about the AMC, local natural and cultural history, risk management, outdoor recreation opportunities and AMC land management practices.
- Maintain accurate financial records and control routine expenses based on an approved, annual operating budget.
- Attend off-site meetings as needed and as schedules permit.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Exceptional customer service skills and outgoing friendly attitude.
- Demonstrated management ability and experience in facility management, hospitality services and/or related activities.
- Ability to supervise and manage and motivate employees to complete a diverse variety of work tasks and work a non-conventional work schedule. Strong group facilitation and team building skills are a must!
- Familiarity with the proper use and maintenance of basic hand and power tools and chainsaw operation.
- Ability to hike, paddle, ski, snowshoe and instruct others in these activities as required.
- Ability to perform work in a remote camp setting and travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions, carrying up to 25 lbs. of gear.
- Ability to safely operate a snowmobile.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain.
- Ability to use a computer to send and receive email and create Microsoft Word and Excel documents.
Employee Perks: This is a full time, year-round position with a great benefits package! Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered to our regular full time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
- Group health plan, 75 percent employer paid.
- Group life insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan with matching contributions.
- Paid vacation, 4 weeks accrued each year.
- Paid holidays, 13 per year.
- Use of AMC facilities, free and discounted rates.
- Free AMC membership. AMC members receive AMC Outdoors magazine, a 20% discount on lodging, a 10% discount on retail goods and access to chapter events and activities.
Note that benefits may vary based on position and/or work schedule and are subject to change.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
How to Apply
Please complete our online application. Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter when applying. We look forward to hearing from you!