- Start Date:
Join our culinary team! The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks a qualified and enthusiastic Cook for our Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (PNVC) in the White Mountain National Forest. This position is responsible for the preparation and delivery of meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner where 95% of the food is made from scratch. We strive for happy visitors and guests, and great food is a big part of the equation!
This is a full-time, year-round, non-exempt, hourly position, which offers competitive compensation and excellent employee benefits. We would love to hear from candidates who want to make a career with AMC and have enthusiasm for our programs and mission!
- Prepare all meals and snacks as scheduled and instructed according to pre-planned menus and established meal times.
- Assist the PNVC Manager in creating appropriate menus for the season, holidays and specialty dinners.
- Welcome and assist outdoor program center visitors and guests in a positive manner; respond to any problems or special requests with a professional demeanor. This includes but is not limited to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack bar/deli guests.
- Clean, sanitize and inspect all areas maintained by the Kitchen Staff on a daily basis and as needed, to exceed New Hampshire Board of Health standards.
- Supervise snack bar/deli during assigned shift with daily upkeep, prep, and service of customers.
- Provide assistance as directed for inventories and ordering of food and supplies on a weekly basis.
- Support and direct Kitchen Staff in the preparation and cleaning duties for breakfast, lunch, and dinner set-ups and breakdowns utilizing on-site guidelines and resources.
- Assist in the preparation, set up and break down of coffee breaks, receptions, or any other special functions and/or events during work shifts.
- Actively participates in recycling programs, composting, the use of green materials and local food programs.
- Actively promote and provide up to date information on the services and programs of the AMC and encourage membership to support the AMC’s public service efforts.
- Plan and attend training and supervisory meetings at PNVC and other AMC facilities as required.
- Other duties as assigned. This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Professional experience in preparing diverse, health-conscious meals including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients in an institutional setting is preferred.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to be a team player within a detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with the White Mountain National Forest and enthusiasm for AMC programs and mission is preferred.
- Candidate must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and evenings on a routine basis.
- Physical abilities: Ability to stand, sit, walk and lift up to 60 pounds from waist to head high, or from floor to waist high is required. Job is performed in a standard commercial kitchen with only occasional exposure to hazardous cleaning products.
Employee Perks: The AMC offers a great benefits package. Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered to our regular full-time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
- Group health plan, 75 percent employer paid.
- Group life insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan with matching contributions.
- Paid vacation, 3-4 weeks accrued each year depending on the role.
- Paid holidays, 13 per year.
- Use of AMC facilities, free and discounted rates.
- Free AMC membership. AMC members receive AMC Outdoors magazine, a 20% discount on lodging, a 10% discount on retail goods and access to chapter events and activities.
Note that benefits may vary based on position and/or work schedule and are subject to change.
To Apply: Interested candidates should forward a resume along with a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!