Participate in meaningful conservation projects across the Southwest!
Work and live in the Southwest's deserts, forests, and everything in between!
- $200.00 / week
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Aug 08, 2022)
American Conservation Experience (ACE) is a national non-profit conservation corps dedicated to providing career development and outdoor experiential learning opportunities to young adults interested in careers related to environmental conservation. The ACE AmeriCorps Member program engages and motivates participants seeking to broaden their horizons and expand professional knowledge in the field of conservation.
Conservation Crew Member: ACE AmeriCorps
Upcoming Start Dates:
August 8th (includes Wilderness First Aid training & Crosscut training)
Estimated End Dates:
- July 18th - October 8th (12 week/ 450 hour)
- July 18th - January 21st (24 week/ 900 hour)
- August 8th - November 5th (13 week/ 450 hour)
- August 8th - February 18th (25 week/ 900 hour)
- August 15th - November 5th (12 week/ 450 hour)
- August 15th - March 18th (25 week/ 900 hour)
- September 12th - December 3rd (12 week/ 900 hour)
ACE is seeking Corps Members committed to working 12-13 weeks (450 hours) or 24-25 weeks (900 hours) on outdoor conservation projects.
For detailed Qualifications and Responsibilities see the position announcement on our website.
Our office and most member housing is located in Flagstaff, AZ. Many projects will include spending up to one or two months working/living in locations across the Southwest, including New Mexico, Colorado, or Texas.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Members receive a $200/week (paid bi-weekly) living stipend
- 3 meals per day while on the project (approximately 16 days/month)
- Free housing accommodation on off days in Flagstaff, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Prescott, AZ; or Trinidad, Colorado. Depending on project location, these accommodations may come in the form of ACE houses, AirBnBs, hotels or campgrounds.
- Use of a tent throughout your term is provided by ACE.
- Transportation to and from work sites is provided by ACE
- Upon successful completion of a full term, AmeriCorps Members receive an Education Award of $3,172.50 (for 900 hours) or $1,678.57 (for 450 hours)
- Some Members are eligible for preferential hiring status following their term of service. Corps Members who serve a minimum of 640 total hours with 200 of those hours on an eligible public land project may qualify for Public Land Corps non-competitive hiring status.
Corps Members serve in professionally supervised teams as they explore future outdoor careers, learn practical field skills, and develop confidence as emerging leaders in the field of conservation. Members are provided opportunities to learn and train under the guidance of professional mentors within ACE, while gaining invaluable career perspectives working alongside staff from the National Park Service, US Forest Service, and many other stewards of our nation's public and tribal lands. ACE Members will become proficient in environmental stewardship practices, general worksite safety, Leave No Trace principles, herbicide application.
Corps Members typically work 10 hours per day for a total of 80 hours in a 2 week pay period. While working, corps members camp in wilderness areas close to their work site. Between work projects corps members usually spend their off days at provided housing in Flagstaff, but they may spend off days in other locations during projects further away from Flagstaff. The typical schedules are working 8 days in a row followed by 6 days off OR working 4 days in a row followed by 3 days off, but this can vary.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
How to Apply
Please submit a Motivational Statement, Resume, and 3 Professional References using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right-hand corner of the position listing on our website here. Your motivational statement should describe your interests, skills, professional goals, and any other relevant information in regard to this opportunity.
For Southwest application questions, contact:
Nicole Cuaz: email@example.com