An amazing cause supporting orphaned and abandoned wildlife in beautiful Portage, Alaska!
Located 47 miles from Anchorage, surrounded by the Chugach mountains along the Turnagain Arm
- year round
- Portage, Alaska
- $60,000.00 / year
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Please note that free dorm-style housing is available for this position on-site at AWCC until April 30th, 2024.
A valid driver's license is required for all employees.
Benefits available for Full Time/Year-Round Employees.
Covid-19 Vaccination is required for on-site housing at AWCC.
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is Alaska's premier tourist destination, and we need your help!
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations, this position is responsible for AWCC’s Retail department, including training Gift Shop staff, managing Gift Shop inventory, designing store layout, and ensuring money is accounted for properly. The Retail manager will ensure effective and clear communication with the Admissions Manager, as well as all other AWCC department managers and staff, and foster a productive, respective and positive work environment.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Ensures effective and clear communication with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, as well as all other AWCC department managers and staff.
- Ensures a productive, respectful, and positive work environment. Assists other departments as directed to ensure a team atmosphere.
- Manages the Retail Department on ongoing operations and development based on profit and ROI.
- Cross-trains with the Admission Department on daily and monthly reporting and cash handling.
- Ensures management of the development of retail operations inclusive of, but not limited to Gift Shop and Online Store.
- Analyzes sales data to ensure appropriate stock levels of retail store products.
- Creates annual buying plan recommendations for Executive Director and Board approval.
- Works with Executive Director and Board on determining new inventory based on AWCC’s mission.
- Manages inventory levels to ensure dated stock is kept to a minimum and overall inventory return is maximized.
- Executes annual full inventory count and monthly spot/cycle counts to confirm system inventory level. Proactively addresses issues with loss prevention strategies.
- Designs store layout for profitability.
- Ensures accounting principles are adhered to and followed for accuracy and accountability.
- Ensures all money is accounted for properly.
- Responsible for management & development of permanent and seasonal hires.
- Participates in marketing efforts in cooperation with the Sales & Marketing Department.
- Maintains computer system for security, accuracy, & efficiency.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Assures staff compliance with policies and procedures.
- Maintains operations to established budget, keeping expenses to a minimum.
- Implements general policies established by the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Assists in keeping the retail building and restrooms clean and tidy.
- Monitors online sales.
- Research improvements to overall operations and cost savings on a regular basis including freight, merchant providers, local artists, computer efficiency, software, and bank fees.
- Ability to work in a team environment to help achieve AWCC’s goals and objectives.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must possess a positive and respectful attitude.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Exceptional work ethic, attention to detail and time management skills.
- Highly proficient sales and cash handling skills.
- Ability to compromise, listen, learn, understand, and follow instructions and directions.
- Knowledge of retail operations, including practices and techniques of inventory control, merchandising, transactions processing and reporting, and retail products.
- Skill in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance as needed.
- Ability/willingness to learn and pass on to customers those areas of interest to visitors, such as local history, people, culture, geography, etc.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed including weekends.
- Proven ability to effectively lead in a fast-paced environment.
- Efficient and organized.
- A minimum of 3 years of related retail management experience
- A minimum of 3 years of working with Retail Inventory POS computer system preferred.
- Business degree with understanding of retail operations
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Must work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.
- 11 paid holidays including employee’s birthday
- Generous PTO package
- 30 hours of sick leave
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 4-10 work schedule
- Free dorm-style housing is available for this position on-site at AWCC until April 30th, 2024
The AWCC is located in Portage Alaska, which is about 45 minutes south of Anchorage, and 15 minutes south of Girdwood. Portage valley boasts spectacular views of the Turnagain Arm, as well as many glaciers, and many great hikes to experience on your days off.
If you think this sounds like the right place for you contact us today!