A great role working in AWCC's ticket booth!
The AWCC is located in beautiful Portage, Alaska, and is surrounded by breath-taking mountain views.
- Portage, Alaska
- $16.00 - $16.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (May 01, 2023)
Please note that free bunk-style, on-site housing is available for this position.
A valid driver's license is required for all employees.
This is a full-time, seasonal position running from May 1st until October 1st.
Covid-19 Vaccination is required for employment with the AWCC
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is Alaska's premier tourist destination and we need your help!
This position is responsible for daily transactions for AWCC visitors in the ticket booth. Admissions duties include greeting visitors, correctly inputting daily transactions of individuals, commercial tour operators, cash handling, daily cleaning tasks, operating gates, handling a high volume of guests, and relaying rules and regulations of the facility to all guests and special event participants.
- Performs customer purchasing transactions for admissions items, special events, or tours.
- Informs arriving guests about the center.
- Ensures effective and clear communication with the Admissions Manager, as well as all other AWCC department managers and staff.
- Responsible for complying with policies and procedures.
- Operates cash register; makes and records cash/Credit Card receipt transactions for daily sales, memberships, and commercial vouchers.
- Ensures all money and vouchers are accounted for properly; assumes responsibility for bank/till; oversees daily closing duties, including nightly deposits and money drops.
- Familiarity with membership details and how to promote sales.
- Actively promotes merchandise and offers all customers prompt service.
- Maintains a friendly, knowledgeable and courteous demeanor.
- Ensures a productive, respectful, and positive work environment. Assists other departments as directed to ensure a team atmosphere.
- Assists with opening or closing procedures.
- Keeps workspaces neat and orderly; assists with hauling supplies to/from the retail location.
- Ensures visitors are aware of rules and policies upon entering campus.
- Accountability of money handling without supervision.
- Opening and closing gates around the center in time with our hours of operation.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Keeping assigned work area clean and completing daily cleaning tasks.
- Ability to work in a team environment to help achieve AWCC’s goals and objectives.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; ability to compromise, listen, learn, understand, and follow verbal and/or written instructions and directions.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed, including weekends.
- Knowledge of admissions and retail operations, including practices and techniques of transaction processing and cash handling. Highly proficient sales and cash handling skills.
- Proven ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance daily.
- Ability/willingness to learn and pass on to customers those areas of interest to visitors, including knowledge about the animals, local history, people, culture, geography, etc.
- Must have quick and efficient problem-solving skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent, AND
- One-year retail sales or cash transaction experience.
- One-year of customer service experience.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Current CPR and first aid certificates; drug testing may be required.
- One-year cash handling experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to follow instructions without supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Constant sitting/standing with public interaction and communication. The environment is dusty with a need for constant cleaning. At times, Portage Valley can receive very high winds and prolonged amounts of rainfall. This is a non-smoking, non-vaping facility.
If you think this sounds like the right place for you contact us today!
How to Apply
Click APPLY NOW to visit our website and see a full job description.
To apply, send a resume and three reference contacts to email@example.com with attention to Emily Platt.