An amazing cause supporting orphaned and abandoned wildlife in beautiful Portage, Alaska!
Located 47 miles from Anchorage, surrounded by the Chugach mountains along the Turnagain Arm
- year round
- Portage, Alaska
- $18.00 - $23.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Please note that on-site housing is available for this position.
A valid driver's license is required for all employees.
Benefits available for Full Time/Year-Round Employees
Covid-19 Vaccination is required for employment with the AWCC
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is Alaska's premier tourist destination and we need your help!
Under the direction of the Project & Maintenance Manager, the candidate is responsible for the general maintenance of mechanical items, performs regular maintenance of buildings, vehicles, snow removal, road grading, assists with tidal variations, operates equipment in a safe manner, routine carpentry, painting, fence building, minor electrical, and plumbing.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Ensures effective and clear communication with AWCC Projects & Maintenance Manager, as well as all other AWCC department managers and staff.
- Assists the Project & Maintenance Manager in ensuring a productive, respectful, and positive work environment. Assists other departments as directed to ensure a team atmosphere.
- Maintains a variety of mechanical items, performs regular maintenance of buildings, vehicles, snow removal, road grading, assists with tidal variations, operates equipment in a safe manner, routine carpentry, painting, fence building, minor electrical troubleshooting, and plumbing.
- Cleans work areas, maintains a clean work environment, and adheres to OSHA guidelines.
- Disposes of trash and debris and keeps the AWCC grounds, parking lots, roads & restrooms looking clean and tidy at all times.
- Must be comfortable working in and around large stock animals. Assists in helping the animal care staff with husbandry care for large game.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work in a team environment to help achieve AWCC’s goals and objectives.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must possess a positive attitude and respectful attitude.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extreme wind, temperature, rain, and winter conditions.
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or minimum two years for Tech I, or four years for Tech II, of various skilled trading such as plumbing, electrical, mechanical, vehicle experience required; or equivalent combination of work experience.
- Must have a valid Alaska Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must lift 75 lbs frequently.
- Must work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.
The AWCC is located in Portage Alaska, which is about 45 minutes south of Anchorage, and 15 minutes south of Girdwood. Portage valley boasts spectacular views of the Turnagain Arm, as well as many glaciers, and many great hikes to experience on your days off.
If you think this sounds like the right place for you contact us today!