Hiring 2023 Lead Cook at Alaskan Eco-Lodge
Glaciers, Mountains, Ocean, Coast, Lagoons, Fjords
- Seward, Alaska
- $17.00 - $19.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (May 11, 2023)
JOB TITLE: Lead Cook
JOB OBJECTIVE: This position takes leadership of the dinner shift and has oversight and training involvement of dinner service staff. Main responsibilities include: Menu planning; guest dinner preparation; supervision of kitchen employees; works with kitchen manager to address both guest and staff needs, as well as create ordering and inventory lists; quality control and recipe standardization; ability to accommodate a wide array of ever changing dietary restrictions.
COMPENSATION: This position pays $19.00/hour and offers free food and housing.
SCHEDULING: This position is regularly scheduled for 40 hour work weeks. It is typical for this position to consist of 8-9 hour shifts. Overtime is to be paid at 1.5x the regular hourly rate for this position and is based on a 5 day work week with 2 consecutive days off.
LOCATION: Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge; Aialik Bay; Kenai Fjords National Park; 3-4 hour boat transport from Seward, AK. Staff members will fly (if not driving) into Ted Stevens Airport in Anchorage, Alaska where an Alaska Wildland Adventures’ manager or team member will provide transportation to the lodge. We also provide transportation back to the airport at the end of the season.
OUR SEASON: We ask applicants to be available for our entire operation season, from mid-May to mid-September.
THIS ROLE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- To create and execute delicious family style dinners for guests and staff of the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge and to cultivate a positive and supportive learning environment in the kitchen while doing so.
- Responsibilities include: menu creation, staff supervision, quality control, oversight of meal preparation, leadership of the dinner shift, and food inventory control.
- Cater to various guest/staff dietary requirements in an enthusiastic manner.
- Work with the kitchen team and hospitality to maintain a clean kitchen and help load/unload food orders and participate in restocking.
- Participate in company practices and policies to conserve natural resources, reduce landfill-bound waste, reduce or eliminate the use of environmentally harmful substances and products and work to help improve AWA’s environmental impact.
- Flexibility and diversity. Employee’s duties and assignments may be modified and altered incidental to Employee’s principal duties to allow for smooth operation of the business and maximum employment opportunities for the Employee.
- Camp chores as assigned to allow for values of integration, coordination, cross training, employee benefits of sharing drudgery tasks, synergy, and maximum employment opportunity. You will be expected to do "dirty work" and "manual labor" from time to time.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL TEAM MEMBERS:
- Contribute to communal duties such as washing your own dishes, cleaning up after any common spaces you have used, and demonstrate general courtesy to community spaces.
- Share a tent cabin with (1) other roommate while keeping your personal living space tidy and respectable. Each tent has 2 twin beds. Partner tent cabins are available with one full bed.
- Interact positively with guests and staff members and possess a kind and approachable attitude. We live where we work, and feel it is very important to preserve and promote a healthy and kind culture within our community for our staff members to live in and for our guests to visit.
- Possess the ability to work within a team structure and in a flexible manner to accomplish a variety of tasks including food preparation, packing, and guest service in a remote setting.
- Ability to live and work in a communal, camp-like atmosphere. Our staff areas offer two kitchens, laundry facilities, lounges, and bathhouses. Our staff tent cabins do not have power or water. It is important our team members are ready for a shift in their accessible amenities and daily routines.
- High-quality guest service standards. We are incredibly intentional in providing our guests with outstanding services. We are attentive to their needs and treat each guest with intention.
- Must be organized in personal and professional spaces as all staff members co-exist within them.
- Must be able to work at a fast pace when needed. A sense of urgency and self-starting tasks is important given some of our time sensitive operations and tasking on a daily basis.
- Alaska Food Workers Card
- CPR and First Aid