Provide the overland hiking adventure of a lifetime for REI guests in Southcentral Alaska
Big Mountains, Ocean, Lakes, Rivers, Bears, Wolves, Whales, Moose, Salmon, So many Birds.
- Southcentral Alaska; Cooper Landing, Talkeetna, Denali, Seward.
- unknown / day + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (May 13, 2019)
Working through Alaska Wildland Adventures to guide REI trips is the opportunity of a lifetime! Not only will you have access to all of the perks that AWA offers, you get a chance to work independently in some of the most beautiful places that Alaska has to offer from Skilak Lake to the Kenai Fjords, to Denali State and National Parks all while supporting the preeminent adventure travel brand and reputation of REI Adventures. It's challenging yet satisfying work that requires stamina for multiple long days in a row of exceeding guest expectations. We’re looking for guides with heart, flexibility, and strong leadership skills.
Bonus: time off between trips is your own to enjoy and explore.
Participating as a guide in the REI program will help further develop your outdoor leadership skills, team playing abilities, and also blow you away with some of the most iconic scenery and day hikes that Southcentral Alaska has to offer.
- Experience guiding multi-day adventure trips.
- Experience guiding group hikes.
- Strong knowledge of Southcentral Alaska natural and cultural history.
- Ability to safely drive guests in a 15 passenger van while towing a trailer.
- Proven ability to work well with a co-guide.
- Ability to work well with complex logistics.
- Ability to work independently and remotely.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Stamina to work 7 departures of the same 9 day trip throughout the season.
- Ability to work well with a co-guide as well as third-party providers.
- Clean driving record
- Ability to give and receive thoughtful constructive feedback.
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or Higher.
Where do I live between trips?You will have access to a dry tent cabin in Cooper Landing at Kenai Riverside Lodge between trips. You will be asked to share this space with one other member of the AWA or REI team of the same gender. You also have access to a kitchen, co-ed bathhouse, and a staff lounge area.
What is the pay and are there benefits?Starting pay is $158.25 per day. Benefits include room and board between trips and AWA employee perks such as visiting our sister lodges on time off during the summer.
How many hours can I expect to work a day?The days are long. You can expect to be working with guests on average 10 - 12 hours a day.
What is the schedule like?The REI trips are 9 days long with little chance for downtime. Time off between trips ranges from 2 - 10 days most consistently being around 4 days.
Is the itinerary flexible?We have worked closely with REI to develop an itinerary that they approve of, while it will change from year to year as we strive to constantly improve, per season the itinerary remains relatively inflexible for improvisation.
What is the itinerary?https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/alaska-hiking-kenai-denali.html?bvstate=pg:2/ct:q