Work the 2024 summer riding ATVs in the beautiful Alaskan Wilderness
Epic mountains with great views, and easy access to many outdoor activities.
- Haines, Alaska
- unknown / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 2 months. (Apr 17, 2024)
Timeframe: May - September
QUALIFICATIONS: Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification, CDL Class B with airbrakes and passenger endorsement. (We can assist in obtaining all certifications)
Alaska Mountain Guides (AMG) operates an exciting ATV tour program for guests on cruise ship-based day trips. The trips are held in the beautiful mountains outside of Haines, AK. ATV guides are responsible for driving busses to and from our remote ATV staging area, leading guests while on trail, emergency response, site setup/takedown, daily maintenance, and assisting in other areas of the company as needed.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have or agree to obtain a CDL class B within the first 45 days of employment. We will assist you with training and reimburse licensing costs.
- Ability to operate ATVs proficiently and have basic ATV maintenance abilities.
- The ability to carry up to 60 lbs. of gear repeatedly throughout the day.
- Completion of AMG ATV program training. Training is generally 7 days but may be longer. Training will include policies and procedures, maintenance and emergency response.
- Guest Safety first, then entertain guests, engage guests with questions and, last but not least, educate guests about the area.
- Greet clients, facilitate introductions, get clients excited for riding. Entertain guests with narration during the drive to and from the ATV site.
- Attention to safety, including learning and appropriately demonstrating the ATV Safety Talk, driving safely and having awareness of weather and trail conditions.
- Outfit clients with helmets and any other applicable equipment (with instruction on wear and fit).
- Give safety talk and driving instructions – complete and sign safety talk checklist.
- Maintain group control and spacing while getting guests geared up and while riding.
- Respond to vehicle breakdowns, injuries, and wildlife encounters.
- Help load, prepare, unload and de-rig gear while keeping the guests engaged.
- Follow a tight time schedule and be on time with your trips.
- Be able and willing to perform any basic vehicle maintenance necessary to for ATV tour operations. Maintenance might include the following:
- Checking and topping off all fluids
- Tire swap and/or inflation
- Fuse replacement
- Complete appropriate guide checklists at the end of each shift.
- Rotate shifts driving CDL buses in support of this and other tours. Have and maintain a clean driving record in order to be insured by AMG company automotive insurance.
- Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
- Complete appropriate driver checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift.
- Be willing and able to support ATV route and site maintenance. Potential for vegetative clearing, chain-sawing, shoveling, or other activities that enable a viable and quality guest experience.
- Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by AMG administration. This may include but is not limited to:
- Driving vehicles with guests or with our equipment.
- Cleaning/maintaining gear, vehicles and warehouse.
- Assisting with grounds/lodging maintenance, cleaning and general support.
- Road maintenance & repair – clearing of vegetation, shoveling, or other ATV route maintenance
- Must at all times be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest and reliable.
- You may be required to cross train and take additional training to expand your opportunities and provide greater flexibility.
- Early to mid-June through late August is the height of the cruise ship season. In this period guides may be required to work up to 40+ hours/week. During the height of the season long periods of time off will likely not be able to be provided
For CDL Driving
- Must obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties for these and other tours. Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Completion of AMG Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).
Living Space and Rent Structure
Haines housing options consist of our employee campground, we have a few campers/RVs for senior staff, and limited space for employees seeking to bring their own campervans/trailers/RVs, most 1st year staff camp in the wooded area encircling the campers/RV parking. The campground has (4) plumbed bathroom/shower units and a communal cooking area – due to the presence of bears in our area we prohibit cooking/food storage outside the communal cooking space. The campground is located on the same lot as our warehouse/office making the commute to work convenient for any staff planning to come to Alaska without a vehicle. There is a laundromat located within a short walk down the street. A guide room is located on the corner of the warehouse with access to WiFi.
- Rent deductions are made twice a month with 50% of the month’s rent deducted from the 1st and 2nd paycheck.
- Rent is prorated for the first month, rent for the last pay period will be deducted in full even if you vacate housing early.
- Employees must vacate housing within 48 hours of their final shift unless other arrangements have been approved by management.
- Pets – Must be approved by management, approval may be rescinded if your pet causes problems or is not friendly towards humans and other animals.
- Failure to abide by rules outlined in the employee manual and housing agreement may result in immediate expulsion from employee housing.
How to Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please click APPLY NOW to fill out an application
We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.