Seeking a Skilled Expedition Mountain Guides to spend this summer in Alaska
We live where the Mountains meet the Sea
- Haines, Alaska
- up to $230.00 / day + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 2 months. (May 08, 2023)
For over 30 years, Alaska Mountain Guides and our affiliates have been a premier guiding service in Southeast Alaska and around the world! Our expedition programming offers a variety of backcountry trips geared towards students and clients attending mountaineering, ski mountaineering, expedition climbs, backpacking, sea kayaking, and trekking programs.
The Guide’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing clients with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. The Lead Guide will facilitate, run, and manage our multi-day, mountaineering and/or Ski-Mountaineering expeditions, with the help and support of a 2nd guide. Must be comfortable in mixed terrain, glaciated, rock, snow, ice, and altitude.
General Overview of Position:
The International Wilderness Leadership School (IWLS) and Alaska Mountain Guides (AMG) are looking for skilled Lead Mountaineering Instructors/Guides for the summer season in Southeast Alaska. Applicants must possess at least three years of experience as an expedition leader and have a valid WFR, WEMT, or equivalent medical certification.
Applicants need to have a strong background in the following areas: climbing, mountaineering, crevasse rescue, and group leadership. Backcountry skiing/snowboarding experience is a plus. Lead Instructors/Guides will be expected to instruct our 12 and 5-day mountaineering programs following our outlined course curriculum, accompanied by a strong second guide for support. Lead Guides/Instructors will also teach guide development training for other staff members.
Guiding opportunities will be based primarily in multi-day expeditions, however, between expeditions, instructors/guides are expected to assist with other operations of the program such as warehouse management, trip packing and operations support.
Date Range: May 8th - July 31st
Essential Job Functions
- Lead guide instruction of 12 and 5-day skilled mountaineering courses.
- Instruct 5-day guide training programs.
- Lead Guides are responsible for all trip paperwork.
- Lead Guides will complete a review of their assistants following the trip. These reviews consist of training checklists and evaluations to help determine how a guide is progressing.
- Guides will be responsible for pre-trip packing, including meal planning/prep and signing out gear for your trip.
- Guides are expected to review client paperwork as prepared by the office.
- Must possess a positive attitude and maintain professionalism in the workplace.
- Must possess good communication skills and the ability to follow protocols in the event of an emergency.
Experience Required to Perform Job Requirements
- 3+ years prior mountain guiding in a lead role.
- Up to date WFR or equivalent and CPR 1st Aid.
- Must have prior crevasse rescue experience.
Wage and Compensation:
- Expedition Day Wage: $230/Day
- Hourly: $18/Hour (when not on multi-day programs)
- Additional compensation: Tips
AMG employees represent the company whether they are working with clients packing in the warehouse, or off the clock and hanging in town. AMG expects employees to always conduct themselves in a professional manner and provide a leading example in the community for the type of behavior associated with the quality guide service that employs them. We live and work in small Alaskan communities, and poor/inappropriate behavior will quickly establish a bad reputation for an individual and reflect poorly on the company as a whole.
AMG provides the opportunity for employees to have access to top-end outdoor merchandise and equipment at discounted rates. AMG is pleased to work with Black Diamond, Mountain Hardwear and Sierra Designs to meet many of our program needs. These programs are a privilege and are considered a perk of the job. Abuse of these opportunities is taken very seriously and will result in loss of privileges and disciplinary action. Specific details will be outlined upon arrival in Skagway.
How to Apply
Please email your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also include all relevant information below
- Backcountry Experience
- Guiding / Instructing Experience - how long
- Certifications, Medical / Outdoor
- Climbing Resume