Work the summer riding ATVs in the beautiful Alaskan Wilderness
Epic mountains with great views, and easy access to many outdoor activities.
- Haines, Alaska
- unknown / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (Apr 17, 2023)
Alaska Mountain Guides (AMG) operates an exciting ATV tour program for guests on cruise ship-based day trips. The trips are held in the beautiful mountains outside of Haines, AK. ATV guides are responsible for driving buses to and from our remote ATV staging area, leading guests while on trail, emergency response, site setup/takedown, daily maintenance, and assisting in other areas of the company as needed.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have or agree to complete provided CDL class B training within the first 45 days of employment. We will provide training and testing, covering ALL licensing costs.
- Ability to operate ATVs proficiently and have basic ATV maintenance abilities.
- The ability to carry up to 60 lbs. of gear repeatedly throughout the day.
- Completion of AMG ATV program training. Training is generally 5 days but may be longer. Training will include policies and procedures, maintenance and emergency response.
- Guest Safety first, then Entertain guests, Engage guests with questions, and, last but not least, Educate guests about the area.
- Greet clients, facilitate introductions, get clients excited for riding. Entertain guests with narration during the drive to and from the ATV site.
- Attention to safety, including learning and appropriately demonstrating the ATV Safety Talk, driving safely and having awareness of weather and trail conditions.
- Outfit clients with helmets and any other applicable equipment (with instructions on wear and fit).
- Give safety talk and driving instructions – complete and sign the safety talk checklist.
- Maintain group control and spacing while getting guests geared up and while riding.
- Respond to vehicle breakdowns, injuries, and wildlife encounters.
- Help load, prepare, unload and de-rig gear while keeping the guests engaged.
- Follow a tight time schedule and be on time with your trips.
- Be able and willing to perform any basic vehicle maintenance necessary to for ATV tour operations. Maintenance might include the following:
- Checking and topping off all fluids
- Tire swap and/or inflation
- Fuse replacement
- Complete appropriate guide checklists at the end of each shift.
- Rotate shifts driving CDL buses in support of this and other tours. Have and maintain a clean driving record in order to be insured by AMG company automotive insurance.
- Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
- Complete appropriate driver checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift.
- Becoming a guide with Alaska Mountain Guides (AMG) in rugged southeast Alaska requires verification of your technical competency, leadership skills, sound judgment, and knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Be willing and able to support ATV route and site maintenance. Potential for vegetative clearing, chain-sawing, shoveling, or other activities that enable a viable and quality guest experience.
- Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by AMG administration. This may include but is not limited to:
- Driving vehicles with guests or with our equipment.
- Cleaning/maintaining gear, vehicles and warehouse.
- Assisting with grounds/lodging maintenance, cleaning and general support.
- Road maintenance & repair – clearing of vegetation, shoveling, or other ATV route maintenance
- Must at all times be clean, well-groomed, courteous, honest and reliable.
- Early to mid-June through late August is the height of the cruise ship season. In this period guides may be required to work up to 40+ hours/per week. During the height of the season-long periods of time off will likely not be able to be provided
For CDL Driving:
- Must obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties for these tours. Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Completion of AMG Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).