Be a cook on a glacier!
Denver, Mendenhall and Herbert Glaciers
- Skagway and Juneau AK
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (May 01, 2019)
Alaska Icefield Expeditions is looking for a Camp Cook!
Do you enjoy cooking for yourself and others? Do you have a passion for healthy, delicious, food? If so, we're looking for you! The ideal candidate will have knowledge of food preparation, food handling and a current Alaskan food handlers permit (ADEC). Your environment will be remote so organization, meal creativity, food storage awareness and meal planning is a must. Our kitchen is very basic without electricity and running water. Supplies are helicoptered to the site.
- The camps are very remote and completely off grid. Cooking is done on propane ranges. There is no running water but fresh water is brought to camp. The kitchen is a 12'x20' Quonset vinyl tent smack dab in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
- The Camp Cook works independently, under the direction of the Camp Manager, preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner according to camp schedule for a crew of 10-20 employees.
- The Camp Cook is responsible for kitchen operations, maintaining sufficient groceries in camp, and scheduling, ordering, and confirming grocery and kitchen re-supply with the Ground Expediters.
- Responsible for menu planning, recipes, and preparation, the Camp Cook delivers a well-balanced diet consisting of ‘meat and potato’ fare with plenty of fruits and vegetables, taking into account allergies, dietary requests, and camp preference.
- Camp Cooks maintain 7-10 days of dedicated food supply in reserve and display menu flexibility, taking into account product on hand, re-supply considerations, and operational cost.
The kitchen is used by the crew throughout the day, the Camp Cook provides a warm and inviting reprieve from daily operations, necessitating a positive attitude and restraint.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work legally in the U.S.
- Compensation is $4000 a month.
- Position is seasonal. Starts the beginning of May and goes through September.
How to Apply
Click APPLY NOW for more details and for a link to our online application.