Exciting Summer Jobs in Skagway, Haines and Juneau- with Housing!
At AlaskaX we embrace standards of excellence and professionalism and are now seeking individuals who are motivated, outgoing and share our commitment to providing our guests with an outstanding experience.
Atop the Lynn Canal, Skagway has often been called the gateway to outdoor adventure . Working and playing in Southeast Alaska is an opportunity many dream of, but few seldom do. We also offer opportunities to also live and work in Juneau, the "capital city" surrounded by mountains and culture, and Haines, where you will be immersed in vast natural beauty
We are committed to providing the “E.X.C.U.R.S.I.O.N. of a lifetime” to our guests, our staff members, and our animals. We do this by providing our guests with an experience they will forever remember, by offering our staff members the opportunity to earn a great pay while working in a fun, team environment, and by providing exceptional care to our animals.
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
AlaskaX, located in Skagway, Alaska, has provided award winning excursions for over 20 years. We strive to build a culture of enthusiasm, appreciation and safety and are committed to creating an unforgettable experience for all of our employees.
Our season runs from early May until late September and a generous bonus is given to employees who can stay the entire time.
In the 2019 season, we are offering our guests six different excursions in which lasting memories can be created
- Sled Dog Adventure in Skagway
- Sled dog Discovery in Juneau
- Chilkoot Horseback Adventures
- Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition
- Glacier Point Wilderness Safari
- Glacier Point ATV Tour
We offer a variety of seasonal summer jobs including:
Mechanic, Maintenance crew, Unimog Operators, Naturalist and Canoe Guides, Zip Line Guides, Adventure Guide, ATV Guides, Horseback Guides, Dog Mushers and Handlers, Boat Captains, Office and Dock Personnel, Adventure Photo Crew, Retail Sales Associates, Culinary Support Staff, Groundskeepers/ Gardeners, Carpenters, IT Team, and Graphic Design.
The Employee Experience
Our managers are committed to creating a fun, safe and unforgettable experience.
Ideal candidates are those who share our passion for Alaska and its history. We are seeking seasonal employees who are fully committed to making sure our guests leave feeling as though they just experienced the best tour ever. In addition to excellent guest service skills, the following are some characteristics that help our staff deliver an incredible experience to our guests:
- A fun, outgoing personality
- Fearless when it comes to entertaining guests
- Being a safety whiz at all times
- A strong work ethic
- A positive attitude
- Ability to be a superb team player
- Excellent presentation & communication skills
- Ability to work with little supervision
- CPR & First Aid Certified
Our season runs from late April through the end of September. Preference is given to applicants who are available for the entire season, but we do accept applications from those who are only available part of the season as well.
We accept applications from international applicants on a J-1 visa with a social security card.
Room and Board
We offer optional affordable company housing to our staff members in Juneau and Skagway and Haines.
Depending on the location, rents range about $60-$150 per week with utilities included. Rent as well as a refundable housing deposit is deducted directly from paychecks, so no money is needed up front.
Most cell phone services work here, but we encourage staff members to check with their carriers before arrival.
Staff members residing in one of our cabin locations may be required to complete an outdoors skills class upon arrival. This course covers the fundamentals of living outdoors and covers topics such as, but not limited to, keeping wood dry, starting a fire, garbage control, and how to avoid attracting wildlife.
- Experience Alaska while earning incredibly competitive hourly wages
- Create memories and friendships that last a lifetime
- Unbelievable wildlife is waiting just for you
- Awesome bonus compensation is available to staff members who complete the terms of their agreement
- Most positions are in company’s tip pool
- Days off to enjoy the area- Our managers are very accommodating and, depending on your position, you can likely be granted two days off in a row.
- Enjoy local tours either for free or at a reduced rate
- We are pet friendly!
Getting Here and Getting Around
We do all we can to make sure our staff members have an incredible summer working with us. However, they need to get here first. You can travel by air, highway or ferry.
- Flying: A 45-minute commuter flight from Skagway, Juneau is the primary domestic air entry point for Southeast Alaska and travelers on the Inside Passage. Juneau, the state capital, is served by Alaska Airlines and three local air carriers who offer several flights daily between Juneau and Skagway.
- Ferry: Skagway is the northern terminus of the Alaska’s Marine Highway System. A fleet of modern, car carrying vessels serves all of Southeast Alaska. Northbound travelers can access the system at Bellingham, Washington and Prince Rupert, British Columbia
- Driving: If you are traveling by car or a RV, you’ll join the growing number of travelers on the Alaska Highway each year. Skagway is only 110 miles south from the Alaska Highway, via the South Klondike Highway.
For more information visit: http://skagway.com/travel/getting-here/
It is up to you to make travel arrangements to and from Alaska and to get to work. We have had many past employees meet up for ride shares and/or carpools via community and group social media pages.
While we do not at this time offer reimbursement for travel, our higher than average available bonus compensation helps to offset travel expenses. Our year end bonus is offered to all those who have completed their individual agreed upon season tenure.
SKAGWAY: While having a car in Skagway would be a convenience, it is not a necessity. The entire town is about a mile long, and it is easy to get around on bike. Some of our team members live in company housing located in Dyea which is approximately 10 miles outside of Skagway, so having a car makes getting into town easy. However, we have team members who carpool into town and we have team members who bike it.
JUNEAU: Having a car makes getting around Juneau easy. Again, we do have team members that carpool with other team members or purchase a used vehicle for the summer. A limited public bus system that connects the main commerce centers but does not extend far outside the main city limits. We provide our team members with more information on getting to and from Skagway or Juneau upon accepting a position with the company.
We love it here, and we are sure you will too!
There are numerous fantastic hiking and fishing opportunities as well as gorgeous scenery and amazing wildlife for avid photography lovers.
Explore the area on local tours either for free or at a discounted rate.
Both locations have plenty of venues to choose from when it comes to hanging out, enjoying dinner, or having a few drinks with some friends while listening to local bands and artists. If you don’t feel like going out, maybe just relax with some new friends around a campfire.
In Skagway, staff members with passports can enjoy trips to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory. It is about 2 hours away, and it is the closest city to Skagway.
Juneau staff members have the perks of many conveniences such as Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, a movie theater, and a bowling alley.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website. Our website tells you all about our positions, and it has our application ready and waiting for you.
Our recruiting process is ongoing, and we will be accepting 2019 applications until all of our positions are filled. The minimum age for most positions is 18. However, for certain positions, preference is given to applicants who are at least 21 years old.
For more information, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also check us out on Facebook.
AlaskaX is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Thanks for your interest in employment with Alaska Excursions!