Adventure is out there! - Lead wilderness expeditions for teens in the North American West
We operate all over the North American West in the summers - from the Rocky Mountains to Alaska!
- Domestic & International Locations, Washington
- $4,000.00 - $4,200.00 / season
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 4 months. (Jun 10, 2023)
ADVENTURE TREKS INSTRUCTORS
Our summer instructors lead 13 to 31-day wilderness-based trips in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, British Columbia, Wyoming, and Alaska for students ages 12–18. Being an instructor at Adventure Treks isn’t really about the trip location or activities, it is about empowering your students, creating a supportive and respectful community, bringing fun and joy to every day, and experiencing the highs and lows of an adventure together. Through activities like backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, sea kayaking, mountain biking, and ice climbing, Adventure Treks’ instructors help our students grow in self-confidence, resilience, social achievement, teamwork, leadership, environmental awareness, and new outdoor skills.
Adventure Treks instructors are positive role models, and are responsible for the safety, success, and satisfaction of their students and trip. Course size is generally 20–24 students with 5–6 instructors. On each adventure, the instructor team works closely together to coordinate all aspects of the trip, including instruction in all outdoor activities, risk management, managing group dynamics, planning menus, purchasing food, laundry, transportation, coordinating with outfitters, maintaining equipment, and handling medical issues. Instructors receive support while in the field from the regional directors.
All applicants must be 21, have a valid WFR & CPR certification, a clean driving record, several years of experience working with youth and leading outdoor programs, and the ability to maintain positive energy levels with little/no time off and very limited personal time. They must be excited to work with teenagers, build community, and facilitate a fun and safe experience
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT
(includes staff orientation)
June 10 - August 15, 2023
We’re pleased to offer a competitive salary for first-year instructors: $4,000 - $4,200
- Adventure Treks offers travel reimbursements up to $500 to help instructors travel to and from Staff Orientation
- Accommodations, meals (and coffee!) on your trip, outfitted activities, equipment, and transportation to and from the trip’s locations are provided by Adventure Treks.
- Pro Deal accounts with access to discounts on a wide range of outdoor brands.
- Reimbursement for Wilderness First Responder Certification for returning instructors.
- Focus on year-round personal and professional growth which includes career resource webinars and reimbursements toward professional development
- An opportunity to work both Adventure Treks summer and fall programs and gap semesters, with a focus on career growth and professional development through the progression of the instructor, trip leader, regional director, and gap semester faculty
ROOM AND BOARD
Starting on day one of your contract with Adventure Treks, your lodging, food, and transportation are all provided. Accommodations will vary depending on your trip location but typically include front-country campgrounds, backcountry campsites, and the occasional hotel room!
TRANSPORTATION TO ORIENTATION
At the beginning and end of summer, Adventure Treks provides a shuttle service between the Portland International Airport in Oregon and our basecamp in Toledo, Washington. You can also drive your personal vehicle directly to our base if that works better for you. We have plenty of space for you to leave your car on our property until the end of your summer contract.