Hiring summer outdoor field instructors for outdoor adventures in the North American West!
We operate all over the North American West in the summers - from the Rocky Mountains to Alaska!
- Domestic & International Locations, Oregon
- $4,000.00 - $4,200.00 / season
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 6 months. (Jun 09, 2023)
Being an outdoor instructor at Adventure Treks is an incredible opportunity—seeing students immersed in nature, fostering a community, and building their confidence and leadership on the trail! Instructors know the demands of operating on the sun's clock and sleeping in a tent for weeks at a time with peers and students that rely on them. In the highs and lows of a trip, they're always engaged, bringing fun to any situation, staying motivated, and working hard. Instructors are in charge of safety, satisfaction, and success. It's not always easy, but it's so rewarding! At Adventure Treks, instructors are an integral part of the community and make lasting impressions on students and lifelong friends with instructors.
Adventure Treks operates 13- to 30-day and semester-long wilderness-based programs in British Columbia, Alaska, California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Wyoming, and North Carolina. Instructors lead activities like backpacking, rock and ice climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, canoeing, whitewater kayaking, and whitewater rafting. On each adventure, the five- to six-person instructor team works together to coordinate all aspects of the trip like managing group dynamics, teaching outdoor skills, maintaining equipment, and handling medical issues.
Our summer field instructors lead trips 10- to 30-day wilderness-based programs in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, British Columbia, Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, and North Carolina for students ages 12–20. Being an instructor at Adventure Treks isn’t really about the trip location or activities- it is about empowering your students, creating a supportive and respectful community, bringing fun and joy to every day, and experiencing the highs and lows of an adventure together. Through activities like backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, sea kayaking, mountain biking, and ice climbing Adventure Treks’ instructors help our students grow in self-confidence, resilience, social achievement, teamwork, leadership, environmental awareness, and new outdoor skills. Adventure Treks instructors are positive role models, and are responsible for the safety, success, and satisfaction of their students and trip. Instructors are expected to be excellent role models as they teach a variety of outdoor skills and foster a close community. Course size is generally 20–24 students with 5–6 instructors. On each adventure, the instructor team works closely together to coordinate all aspects of the trip, including instruction in all outdoor activities, risk management, managing group dynamics, planning menus, purchasing food, laundry, transportation, coordinating with outfitters, maintaining equipment, and handling medical issues. Instructors receive support while in the field from the regional directors.
All applicants must be 21, have a valid WFR & CPR certification, a clean driving record, several years of experience working with youth and leading outdoor programs, and the ability to maintain positive energy levels with little/no time off and very limited personal time. They must be excited to work with teenagers, build community, and facilitate a fun and safe experience
Dates of Employment
(includes staff orientation)
Summer: June 9 - August 15, 2023
We’re pleased to offer a competitive salary with the starting salary for first-year instructors being: Summer season: $4,000 - $4,200
- Adventure Treks offers travel reimbursements up to $500 to help instructors travel to and from Staff Orientation
- Accommodations, meals (and coffee!) on your trip, outfitted activities, equipment, and transportation to and from the trip’s locations are provided by Adventure Treks.
- Pro Deal accounts with access to discounts on a wide range of outdoor brands.
- Reimbursement for Wilderness First Responder Certification for returning instructors.
- Focus on year-round personal and professional growth which includes career resource webinars and reimbursements toward professional development
- An opportunity to work both Adventure Treks summer and fall programs and gap semesters, with a focus on career growth and professional development through the progression of the instructor, trip leader, regional director, and gap semester faculty