Paddle through breathtaking scenery in stunning Sitka Sound while entertaining your group of guests
Sitka Sound is one of the premier kayaking destinations in the world.
- Sitka, Alaska
- $17.00 - $17.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Adventure Sitka is an exciting, relatively new company guided by leadership with over 40 years of combined experience in Alaska guest experience. We operate tours that include sightseeing, wildlife viewing, storytelling, hospitality, and kayaking in some of the most beautiful settings Sitka has to offer. Our operating season runs early-May through late-September, with the first kayak guide training beginning in mid to late April. We are in this business because of our love for exploring wild Alaska, and the fun we have sharing it with others. In our first two years of operation, we have received overwhelmingly positive feedback from our guests and partners. Adventure Sitka strives to consistently provide high quality experiences that our guests identify as the highlight of their travels.
Essential Qualities & Qualifications
- Must have water-oriented background & skills and/or previous adventure-guiding experience.
- Must have a background or strong interest in natural & human history.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated, honest, enthusiastic, gregarious, and love the outdoors.
- Must be willing to operate outside in variable weather conditions including rain and moderate wind.
- Must be team-oriented and have well-developed interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Must have strong communication skills and enjoy story-telling and conversation.
- Must be physically fit, comfortable on the water for extended periods, able to swim, and able to lift & carry up to 100 pounds.
- Must possess First Aid & CPR certification (prior to guiding with paying guests).
- Must be willing to work variable work hours, including long-days, evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to take constructive feedback.
- Must be able to take direction and execute tasks as directed.
- Must recognize and fill their specific role as part of a contributor to team efficiency and morale.
Sea Kayak Guide Responsibilities
- Set up for daily tour operations: kayak staging & gear preparation, and coordinate with the Tour Manager to confirm the day’s tour schedule and tour float plans.
- Monitor weather and ocean conditions before, during, and after trips (if there are multiple trips in one day). Work with management to make decisions based on conditions that ensure tour safety and quality.
- Provide safety orientation for guests on our guided kayak tours. Orientations include teaching proper fit & adjustment of equipment, good paddle technique and emergency rescue skills.
- Lead guide duties while on tour: ensure the safety of our guests through constant awareness of hazards and close observation of each guest’s abilities and needs.
- Provide an educational and fun experience through delivery of informative narrative, good story-telling and appropriate conversation (adjust to suit each guest’s individual communication style).
- During “down time”, between tours and on days that are less busy, guides may be given the option to assist with kayak & gear maintenance, site improvements, or other duties as needed.
- Assist other guides, shore staff and potential customers however the situation warrants.
Compensation & Benefits
Lead Guide ─ DOE, at least $17.00/hour, plus end-of-season $2 per hour worked contract fulfillment bonus. $300 each way travel reimbursement
While not guaranteed income, guides can generally expect to receive gratuities from guests for a job well done.
Company-arranged, seasonal housing assistance may be available to interested employees.
- Positions are seasonal full-time or part-time. Covered by Workman’s Comp Insurance.
- Our guides have full authority to re-route or cancel tours when unsafe conditions develop.
How to Apply
Apply online via the link below.
Please note: Preference will be given to candidates available to work the entire season, without interruption.