Are you a licensed captain that enjoys operating vessels for adventure tours?
Sitka Sound is a challenging, dynamic, and breathtaking environment for a marine operator.
- Sitka, Alaska
- $26.00 - $28.00 / hour
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Apr 01, 2023)
Job Profile – Boat Captain
The vessel operator for the Siginaka Cruise & Kayak Adventure will be responsible for safe operation of a 44 foot long (17 GRT) Monohull Aluminum Jet Drive (manufactured by Life Proof Boats) in like-new condition. Transfers are from Sitka Sound Cruise Ship Terminal out to the Siginaka paddle base, approximately 15 minutes one way. Requires a USCG master's license (25 ton minimum) and an FCC marine radio operator's permit. Prior experience in the marine tourism industry and particularly on passenger vessels is desirable. Preference is given to applicants with knowledge of diesel mechanics, water jet propulsion, and electrical systems. This is an active position that involves assisting with launching guests on kayaks in between vessel transfers. Captain will be responsible for helping guests into kayaks as well as supporting crew to make operations as fluid as possible whenever they are not responsible for operating the vessel. Preference is given to captains that have an interest in kayaking and adventure tours. Must be able to build team and maintain crew morale to provide a quality experience for our guests.
- Execute voyages as directed in tour descriptions and policy manual. Supervise marine aspects of tour delivery, and quality control.
- Supervise and assist in routine maintenance: cleaning, sanitation and fuel pumping, restocking, painting, lubrication, and minor mechanical repairs.
- Communicate with Port Captain to identify problems and needed repairs, and occasionally assist in performing them.
- Supervise passenger boarding, safety orientation/demonstration, emergency response and crowd control.
- Plan and execute emergency drills & safety meetings in accordance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations, and company policy.
- Maintain logs and ship/company documents, as directed. Provide daily operations report to the office.
- Experience on passenger carrying vessels and/or experience operating vessels in Southeast Alaska required. Required minimum 25-ton license.
- Mechanical aptitude, engine room experience preferred. Diesel mechanics or electrical/electronics background helpful.
- Must be able to build team and maintain morale with crew to provide quality experience for customers.
- Ability to speak (on P.A. system when applicable), and to provide commentary.
- Must be able to lift and move objects of up to 50 lbs. as required.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment and random drug testing is Coast Guard required).
- Must be able to work varied shift hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Must be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, reliable and on time.
- Uniform shirts & jacket provided.