Adventure Guiding Company Seeking Marketing & Guide Staff for Summer Season
Above & Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is a locally owned and operated company who have been exploring the Tongass National Forest, glaciers of the Juneau Icefield, and waters of Alaska’s inside passage since 2002. ABAK's goal is to offer our clients an opportunity to explore any of the environments found around Juneau by kayak, canoe, or foot.
Located in Juneau Alaska, nestled in a beautiful temperate rain forest, surrounded by snowy peaks, and right on the Pacific Ocean. We are a town of 30,000 people but with a small town feel. Juneau has an incredibly high quality of life with an active music, culture, and bar scene plus more hiking trails than roads. Spend your summer exploring from ocean to ice in this wilderness playground.
About Above & Beyond Alaska Wilderness Trips
At Above & Beyond Alaska, our goal is to provide a complete Alaskan wilderness experience for our clients by sharing our passion, technical know-how, and natural history knowledge. Our goal is find well rounded team players with a passion for the outdoors and a willingness to put the clients experience first. We have a huge variety of trips, from day to overnight, from sea kayaking to ice trekking, and more. You do not have to be an expert in every field, but be open to growing your technical skills and sharing your stories with the clients and the team.
We are the premier wilderness guides in Alaska and also work with major production from around the world including Nat. Geo, the Travel Channel, and we even took Martha Stewart ice trekking once! Summer 2017 we welcomed Oprah, the BBC, and many others to Juneau and spent the day showing them around the Mendenhall Glacier, the Tongass Rainforest, and Inside Passage. If you have production experience, please let us know. If you would like to gain experience in the production world we can help you grow your skills and show you the ropes.
We are now hiring the best of the best in Wilderness Guides for Summer 2018. We require a love of hiking, kayaking, canoeing, and exploring with a positive attitude and team orientated mindset. So if you want to learn from the professionals and have the most diverse guiding experiences during your time in Alaska, apply to join our team today!
The Employee Experience
Alaska truly is the final wilderness frontier. You feel very small wherever you go in the magnificent scenery. You also get unlimited outdoor opportunities. Do you want to sea kayak today up the rugged coastline? Or maybe go ice trekking on a glacier that is thousands of years old? Or how about a hike through the lush and beautiful rain forest? One thing that we highly recommend asking every potential employer is, "how many days off per week I am expected to work?" The truth is most companies require 6 to 7 days on per week all summer, which limits your free time for adventure. We work very hard to try and provide more flexibility with 5 days on and 2 days off in a row whenever possible. We want you to have amazing experiences in your free time to improve your skills, stories, and experiences. We don't guarantee it, but your time and quality of life is very important to us.
At Above & Beyond Alaska we value nature and the wilderness above all else. We are here to preserve and educate. No trace left behind and take nothing but photos is our philosophy. If you share these values you will be surrounded by a large and experienced staff who can help and mentor you to grow in the areas you are interested in. Love kayak but want to learn ice trekking? No problem! Let's make a day of it and have an adventure!
ABAK is seeking applicants who:
- Are independent and reliable
- Have the flexibility to work an ever-changing schedule
- Consistently demonstrate empathy and enthusiasm
- Work well as part of a team and have strong communication skills
- Enjoy working with people and providing service that goes above and beyond
- Place an emphasis on safety and demonstrate conservative judgment and decision-making
- Love the outdoors…and don’t mind the rain
- Have the desire and ability to share their knowledge of the natural environments of Southeast Alaska and the history of Juneau and the Tongass
- Are open to learning and expanding their “people skills”, technical know-how and natural history knowledge
- Have physical stamina, fitness, and no potential physical limitations and can lift and carry at least 50 pounds
- Have an unflagging honesty, sense of humor and respect for all others
- Are willing to work where needed and fill different roles for the company when asked
- All employees must be First Aid and CPR certified. (American Red Cross class recommended)
- All Wilderness Guides must have a WFR or EMT certification.
For Guide applicants:
- Be willing to learn the technical skills needed to guide glacier trekking, canoeing or kayaking trips (i.e. crevasse rescue, proper trekking, and ice climbing technique, top-rope site management, spotting techniques, proper paddle strokes, assisted re-entries, advanced capsize rescues)
- Hold a WFR or EMT certification
- 1-2 years outdoor guiding experience preferred but not required.
- A love of the outdoors and experience in a variety of outdoor settings.
- Team player with client needs as the top priority
Room and Board
We provide housing placement assistance and roommate matching. Juneau is an easy place to find summer housing and if you have a specific price range or requirements we will help you locate the best fit in the area for you. Staff will make every effort to assist in helping locate and solidify housing.
- End of season bonus based on performance
- Guide staff regularly receive gratuities from guests
- Paid training
- Opportunity to purchase discounted and wholesale outdoor products from the top manufacturers.
- Free seat on the ABAK trips in your time off (when open seats are available)
- Use of gear, equipment, kayaks, paddleboards, and more during your free time
- Discounts on ABAK trips for friends and family
- Mentorship with staff of professional guides, regardless of your position in the team we have excellent leaders who will help and train in every aspect of wilderness guiding, helping you become the best!
Getting Here and Getting Around
Juneau Alaska can be accessed by plane or ferry only. Daily flights from Seattle to Juneau are available with Alaska Airlines. Staff will be available to help coordinate and support transportation to Juneau.
Its Alaska! The only limit is your imagination!
- whale watching
- bear watching
- ice trekking
- zip lining
Our season runs from May 1st - September 30th annually. Training starts about April 20th. Priority given to staff who can stay for the full season.
All staff must be First/Aid and CPR certified. Guide staff must be WFR or EMT certified.
We are seeking applicants who will:
- Take initiative and pitch in, work as a team, and follow routine procedures
- Arrive to work on time and ready without direct supervision
- Provide a guest experience that is safe, fun, and educational
- Provide accurate natural history information
- Respect their surroundings, equipment, fellow guides, and the environment
- Continue to build on their existing skills and knowledge base
- Who love the outdoors and want to share that with others
Lead canoeing or kayaking groups over a glacial lake one day, the next be leading a hiking tour through the rain forest. Either way your path leads towards the famous Mendenhall Glacier, the most accessible glacier in all of Alaska. There you will take your clients on to the ice to explore the most unbelievably beautiful glacial features. Trips will vary in length from about 6 hours to 10 hours. Must be open to leading both paddling and hiking tours. They must be available to receive training in ice trekking and rescue techniques as well as training specific for each trip location/type. Glacier experience is not required! We will teach you to guide on the ice. If you have trekking and ice climbing experience you may be qualified to lead the advanced and overnight expeditions. All guides must be responsible for operating company vehicles (7-15 passengers) for guiding or assistant guiding tours. The Glacier Guides have the opportunity for the most hours and groups, so also the most tips. This is the best way to maximize your income but must be willing to have a flexible schedule and be very team orientated.
Opportunity to learn the in's & out of the tourism industry! Assist the Operations Manager and staff with all office work and guest support. Answer phone calls, help guests, coordinate pick ups/drop offs, and so much more! You'll be exposed to every aspect of the business that happens behind the scenes. Sales, budgeting, scheduling, hiring, etc... Perfect opportunity for anyone who is looking for more experience in an office setting or specifically the tourism industry.
Lead groups on interpretive sea kayaking trips. Share expertise on the ocean, coastline, rainforest, and glacial ecosystem types in the Juneau area. This position offers variety in paddling locations as they will spend time in the coastal waters around Juneau. Trips will vary in length from about 4 hours to 8 hours, with some overnight excursion possible. Kayak guides must have a current WFR or EMT certification and experience in a variety of conditions in sit-in sea kayaks. They must be available to receive training in kayak paddling and rescue techniques as well as training specific for each trip location/type. Kayak Guides will be responsible for operating company vehicles (7-15 passengers) for guiding or assistant guiding tours. Guides hired solely as a kayak guide may be encouraged to work extra hours helping with kayak rentals, and kayak maintenance and cleaning. This is the perfect role for guides who like independence, small groups, and a variety of locations. We do require sea kayaking guiding experience due the remoteness of the locations. If you do not have sea kayaking experience, please consider the Glacier Guide, which has a kayak option, and is a great starting point for guides. Preference given to ACA certified and instructors.
Work in the best retail environment around! Have retail experience but want a different product and style? Come help us rent and sell kayak, gear, and adventures. Great opportunity to come to Alaska for the summer and work in a small store with mellow customers and get to explore during your free time.
This is an excellent way to learn about guiding and the industry. No WFR or EMT is required so you have a chance to kayak daily, talk with clients, and learn the ropes. We do consistently offer 5 days on with 2 days off in a row, so a great position for someone who wants to maximize exploring opportunities. Often people will start in this position and move to guiding as they gain training and experience.
Starts April 1st 2018 - September 30th 2018 - Full Time 5 days on/ 2 days off in a row
Help us grow! Lead the team in top notch customer service and sales. Develop and execute new marketing opportunities throughout the community and beyond. Excellent opportunity to learn about the tourism industry and get your foot in the door to a career. Computer skills and experience is a must. Please note your experience with Microsoft Office including Publisher, Photo Shop, Social Media and Website Development.
Salary position DOE (potential for long term permanent position with benefits in the future)
The Support Staff handles all of the behind the scenes tasks and daily trip prep including but not limited to: packing and repairing gear, prepping snacks and filling water bottles, loading kayaks and lifting heavy gear, transporting gear and clients, assist guides with outfitting clients, cleaning the Warehouse, shopping for client food and supplies, vehicle maintenance assistance and record keeping. Be available to assist in problem solving and adaptable to changing situations. This is the perfect first position for someone who wants to learn what it takes to be a professional guide, learn everything it takes to outfit and prepare client groups for being in the wilderness.
Must have clean driving record and be over 21 years old.
How to Apply
Apply online via the link provided. We look forward to hearing from you!