Kayak / SUP Rental Shop
Kayak Rental Specialist
$18.00 / hour + tipsApply Now
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking an exceptional individual to join our Kayak Shop team in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for over 21 years and employs 40 seasonal team members from April-September.
The Kayak Rental Shop Specialist is responsible for facilitating kayak rentals, safety presentations, kayak transports, kayak repairs, assists with outfitting guided kayak tours, and guided half-day kayak tours 1-2 times per week during peak season in the Auke Bay area. Specialists will also make customer reservations using our booking system and engage in customer phone/email/chat correspondence.
As the first point of contact for all rental guests, the Kayak Rental Shop Specialist must be able to enthusiastically engage with clients throughout the reservation process, organize kayak and SUP gear based on rental needs, confidently orientate rental guests on paddle safety, techniques, and paddle areas. Specialists are outdoor enthusiasts who are interested in developing guide skills.
Additionally, Kayak Rental Shop Specialists may assist with tour support duties at ABAK’s main office. These duties include helping guides prepare equipment and food for trips, maintain all operational zones, transport guests, fix canoes, kayaks, and equipment.
All training is “on-the-job” and includes kayak skills and rescue techniques, gear repair methods, critical incident response, zone and tour familiarization, and food preparation. This position is an entry-level position geared towards exceptional individuals looking to diversify their skill set, explore the outdoor adventure tourism industry, and collaborate with an amazing team. All applicants, regardless of experience, must share our passion for promoting environmental conservation through education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide prompt and professional communication with customers via email, phone, and online messages.
- Develop and utilize a thorough and accurate understanding of all ABAK’s Reservation Software when corresponding with clients during the reservation process.
- Develop proficiency in retail and rental POS systems, handle credit card transactions, maintain rental and retail inventory, answer phones.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of rental shop kayak and SUP fleet, basic paddling skills and safety, and Juneau paddle areas.
- Provide superior customer service, teach basic kayaking/SUP skills, Facilitate safety briefing to rental guests, transport guests and kayaks to various launch points around Juneau
- Learn Kayak and SUP repair techniques and assist the Manager in maintaining the rental fleet.
- Loading kayaks/canoes and lifting heavy gear.
- Maintain and safely operate company vehicles.
- Guide half-day kayak tours 1-2 times per week during peak season from the Auke Bay area. Subject to booking availability.
- High School Diploma – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in preferred
- US Citizen OR Be Eligible to Work in the US
- Superb Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- 21 years of age with a Valid Driver’s License and Clean Driving Record for past 5 years
- Adult/Child First Aid and CPR Certification
- Experience working in retail, tour, or service industry
- Proficient with computers
- Kayaking/SUP experience preferred
Start Date: May 1, 2023 – September 30, 2023 (flexible)
Bonus: All employees who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus that is based on 3% of gross wages.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.