Office / Logistics
$18.00 / hour + tipsApply Now
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking an exceptional individual to join our seasonal support team in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for over 20 years and employs 35 seasonal team members from April-September.
The Support Specialist position works directly with the Operations Team to maintain ABAK facilities, gear, and vehicles for all our daily operations. ABAK specializes in small group adventure tours, often outfitting up to 10 groups per day with top-of-the-line outdoor gear, outerwear and footwear, and hearty snacks. The Support Specialist works in tandem with the operations and guide team to prep equipment/gear and food for trips, engage guests, help maintain operational zones, assist operations team with daily logistics, transport guests, fuel and clean vans, fix and clean canoes, kayaks, and equipment at the kayak rental shop.
This is a dynamic support role that will rotate through the Warehouse headquarters and Kayak Rental Shop as Support Specialists. Specialists will assist Kayak Rental Specialists with set up of kayaks at the shop, assisting with outfitting of kayak rentals, transportation, set up, cleaning of rental gear.
All training is “on-the-job” and begins on the first day of work. This position is an entry-level position geared towards exceptional individuals looking to diversify their skill set, explore the outdoor adventure tourism industry, and collaborate with an amazing team. This is the perfect position for someone who wants to learn what it takes to be a professional guide, as it provides an opportunity to learn everything it takes to outfit and prepare client groups for being in the wilderness. Many of our top guides have started in this position and now guide full time. All applicants, regardless of experience, must share our passion for promoting environmental conservation through education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain inventory of client food and warehouse supplies.
- Prepare hearty snacks in accordance with client dietary needs and food safety regulations and filling water bottles.
- Pack, Clean, and Repair outdoor gear and apparel
- Loading kayaks/canoes and lifting heavy gear.
- Transport equipment, clients, and kayaks to various locations around Juneau.
- Assist guides in outfitting clients
- Maintain a clean front-of-house staging, retail, and restroom area, and a clean and organized back-of-house warehouse workspace.
- Kayak Rental Shop: assist with kayak and stand-up paddleboard rentals in a busy harbor just south of our main headquarters. Learn how to fix kayaks and paddle gear. Assist kayak specialists with staging and cleaning kayaks.
- High School Diploma – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in preferred
- US Citizen OR Be Eligible to Work in the US
- Superb Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Exceptional customer services skills
- 21 years of age with a Valid Driver’s License and Clean Driving Record for past 5 years
- Adult/Child First Aid and CPR Certification
- Experience working in retail, tour, or service industry
- Proficient with computers
Start Date: May 1, 2022 – September 30, 2022 (flexible)
Bonus: All employees who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus that is based on 3% of gross wages.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.