Office / Logistics
$19.00 / hour + tipsApply Now
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking a multifaceted organizer to join our seasonal team as the Operations Assistant in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for 20 years and employs 35 seasonal team members from April-September.
The Operations Assistant supports the Operations Manager with all operational duties during the season to ensure the company runs a clean, safe, and organized operation. These duties include setting up remote sites prior to the season and taking down remote sites at the end of the season, maintaining remote sites and condition of equipment in operational zones, helping maintain vehicles and facilities, transporting equipment, clients, or kayaks to various locations around Juneau as needed, assisting in all support roles at the warehouse and kayak shop, reporting as MOD (Manager on Duty for incident response) five days per week, and collaborating with the operations team in any logistical planning.
The Operations Assistant will be trained as a MOD at the beginning of the season and develop a comprehensive understanding of trip logistics, company protocols, including critical incident response. The Ops Assistant will coordinate incident response in accordance with ABAK’s CIRP, assess weather conditions daily and weekly, and make go/no go calls when dangerous conditions develop or exist in operating zones. This position reports directly to the Operations Manager. An ideal candidate has leadership experience, seamlessly adapts to last-minute changes in their daily schedule, and can make sensible, time-sensitive decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Set up and Maintain ABAK Operational Zones and Seasonal Infrastructure in the following locations: Admiralty Island, Mendenhall Lake, Eagle Valley Center, Auke Bay, and The Channel Island State Marine Park
- Loading kayaks/canoes and lifting heavy gear in all operational zones.
- Vehicle Fleet Maintenance: schedule regular preventative maintenance with mechanics, address any vehicle issues that arise in a timely manner, make sure vans are clean and ready at the start of the season.
- Kayak Rental Shop – assist with kayak and stand-up paddleboard rentals in a busy harbor just south of our main headquarters. Learn how to fix kayaks and paddle gear. Assist kayak specialists with staging and cleaning kayaks.
- Warehouse Facility: assist with warehouse cleaning and support, gear repair projects, inventory
- Report as MOD five days per week and works with dispatch/office staff to assist in any incidents that arise from the field.
- High School Diploma – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree Preferred
- Valid Driver’s License with no moving violations in the past 3 years
- 2 years of relevant experience with guide, outfitter, or other tour-based business or organization
- Adult/Child First Aid and CPR Certification
- Must be able to travel in floatplane, motorboat, canoe, and kayak
- Basic vehicle maintenance, handyperson skills, and facility maintenance experience.
- Familiarity with ABAK Operating Areas (Mendenhall Glacier, Channel Island State Marine Park, Auke Bay, and Admiralty Island)
- Leadership experience and ability to make time-sensitive decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Wilderness First Aid or higher
Start Date: April 1, 2022 – October 15, 2022
Bonus: All employees who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus that is based on 3% of gross wages.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.