$25.00 - $30.00 / hourApply Now
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking an exceptional Boat Captain to join our team in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for over 21 years and employs 40 seasonal team members from April-October.
The Boat Captain operates a 25’ aluminum Weldcraft or 26’ aluminum Hewescraft water taxis, each with two 200 HP outboards, transporting kayak guides, guests, and equipment from Auke Bay Harbor to various launch points around the Channel Islands/Stephen’s Passage. Our Boat Captains facilitate intimate marine wildlife viewing opportunities throughout our 6-hour Paddle with Whales kayak tour, and collaborate with the guides to determine tour routes on a daily basis.
The Boat Captain assists the Operations Manager in weather tracking, assessment, and determining when unsafe conditions are present or may develop. Additionally, boat captains will perform regular preventative maintenance and vessel upkeep and communicate with Operations Management any vessel or equipment needs that to be addressed. Boat Captains should self-directed, and able to manage their schedules, duties, and time without constant supervision.
All applicants must be committed to environmental education and sustainable tourism. Our ocean-based adventures operate in full compliance with NOAA Policy, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and Whale SENSE guidelines.
Essential Duties Include but are not limited to the following
- Monitor weather and marine conditions on a daily, weekly, and hourly basis to determine when unsafe conditions exist or may develop.
- Operate vessel in accordance with USCG regulations and all policies/guidelines pertaining to sustainable wildlife viewing.
- Provide boat transportation and wildlife experience for up to (2) six-hour tours per day, load and unload 65lb kayaks, clean and repair kayaks and gear as needed.
- Collaborate with naturalist/guide and logistics team to maintain tour timeline, effectively manage risk, and create a high-quality, educational, and consistent experience to guests.
- Maintain an organized, safe, and professional vessel by completing daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance and cleaning tasks.
- High School Diploma – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in preferred
- US Citizen OR Be Eligible to Work in the US
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Driver’s License and Clean Driving Record for past 5 years (Valid Through September 30, 2023)
- USCG 6-Pack License (Valid Through September 30, 2023)
- Adult/Child Infant and CPR (Valid Through September 30, 2023).
- 1 Year Experience Actual Captaining Experience on 6 passenger boat
- Able to pass pre-employment and random Drug Screenings
- Knowledge of Southeast Alaska marine ecosystems, flora, and fauna
- Experience working in the service industry
Training: Boat Captains must participate in mandatory paid training at the start of the season.
Start Date: April 15, 2023 – September 30, 2023 (flexible)
Compensation: Starting $25/hour, plus end of season bonus
Bonus: Employees who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus that is based on 3% of gross wages.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.