Kayak / SUP Rental Shop
Kayak Shop Supervisor
$20.00 / hour + tipsApply Now
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking an expectational individual to join our seasonal team as the Kayak Shop Supervisor in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for over 20 years.
The Kayak Shop Supervisor manages the kayak rental shop and rental specialist staff located in Auke Bay Harbor. This position facilitates kayak rentals and safety briefings, oversees rental shop buildings and maintenance, assists with outfitting guided kayak tours departing out of Auke Bay area, and collaborates with the Operations Team in logistical planning. This position also works with setting up remote sites prior to the season and taking down remote sites at the end of the season, and maintaining remote kayak rental sites and condition of equipment in operational zones.
The Kayak Shop Supervisor will be the main point of contact for multi-day kayak trips and preparation, kayak transportation, scheduling of kayak specialist staff, kayak gear ordering and retail kayak inventory, kayak repairs, and collecting and auditing of shop staff timesheets.
The Kayak Rental Shop Supervisor must be able to enthusiastically engage with clients throughout the reservation process, manage customer phone/email/chat correspondence, organize kayak and SUP gear based on rental needs, confidently orientate rental guests on paddle safety, techniques, and paddle areas.
Additionally, the Kayak Shop Supervisor will be trained as a MOD (Manager on Duty for incident response) at the beginning of the season and develop a comprehensive understanding of trip logistics, company protocols, including critical incident response. The Kayak Shop Supervisor will coordinate incident response in accordance with ABAK’s CIRP, assess weather conditions daily and weekly, and make go/no go calls when dangerous conditions develop or exist in operating zones. This position reports directly to the Operations Manager. An ideal candidate has leadership experience, seamlessly adapts to last-minute changes in their daily schedule, and can make sensible, time-sensitive decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide prompt and professional communication with customers via email, phone, and online messages.
- Develop and utilize a thorough and accurate understanding of all ABAK tours and Reservation Software when corresponding with clients during the reservation process.
- Develop proficiency in retail and rental POS systems, handle credit card transactions, maintain rental and retail inventory, answer phones.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of rental shop kayak and SUP fleet, basic paddling skills and safety, and Juneau paddle areas.
- Provide superior customer service, teach basic kayaking/SUP skills, facilitate safety briefing to rental guests, transport guests and kayaks to various launch points around Juneau
- Learn Kayak and SUP repair techniques and assist Operations Team in maintaining rental fleet.
- Assist Operations Manager in ordering, scheduling, and auditing of timecards
- Point of contact for multi day kayak rentals and kayak transportation
- Maintain and safely operate company vehicles.
- Loading kayaks/canoes and lifting heavy gear.
- Kayak Rental Shop Management: create weekly schedule, maintain daily sales records and bank deposits, train staff in equipment repair and daily operations, coordinate rental and transport logistics, oversee customer correspondence and reservations.
- High School Diploma – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in preferred
- US Citizen OR Be Eligible to Work in the US
- Exceptional customer services skills
- Experience working in retail, tour, or service industry
- Superb Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Comprehensive Experience utilizing MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Etc.)
- 2 years of relevant experience with guide, outfitter, or other tour-based business or organization
- Must be able to travel in floatplane, motorboat, canoe, and kayak
- Adult/Child First Aid and CPR Certification
- 21 Years of age with Valid Driver’s License and Clean Driving Record for past 5 years
- Familiarity with ABAK Operating Areas (Mendenhall Glacier, Channel Island State Marine Park, Auke Bay, and Admiralty Island)
- Kayaking/SUP experience
- Experience implementing CIRP within a similar operation or setting
- Leadership experience and ability to make time-sensitive decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Start Date: April 15, 2022 – September 30, 2022 (flexible)
Bonus: All employees who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus that is based on 3% of gross wages.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.