Sea Kayak Guide Wanted - Offering Competitive Pay!
From Ocean to Ice, Small Group Wilderness Adventures since 2002!
- Auke Bay, Alaska and Juneau, Alaska
- $18.00 / hour + tips
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) prioritizes safety and environmental stewardship. Our comprehensive guide training program provides novice and experienced guides an opportunity to develop technical skills and a sound, working knowledge of Juneau's diverse ecological zones.
Sea Kayak guides facilitate paddling and wildlife viewing adventures in the Channel Islands State Marine Park, to the Pack Creek Bear Sanctuary on Admiralty Island, and in Auke Bay. Our operating areas are remote and often require floatplane or water taxi transportation to access.
Our guides embody Above and Beyond Alaska’s dedication to safety, customer service, and environmental conservation. ABAK Guides must be able to participate in a training program to learn or develop technical skills, natural history knowledge, and superior customer service strategies.
Sea Kayak Guides demonstrating solid technical skills, judgment, and group management ability will be trained to guide all ABAK kayak tours.
General Duties Include, but are not limited to….
- Actively contribute to a collaborative team environment in the field and company headquarters.
- Prepare equipment and food for trips, process used gear post-trip, make repairs as needed, and maintain a clean workspace.
- Teach effective and safe kayaking skills to novice paddlers, provide accurate natural-history narrative, and maintain awareness of risk, weather, and marine conditions throughout the tour experience.
- Guide 3.5 – 8 hour sea kayaking tours in remote wilderness locations for up to 8 clients.
- Must be able to travel on floatplane and/or motorboat, and safety transport clients in company vehicles.
Living in Juneau
Our landscape is diverse - when you are not kayaking to an uninhabited island or exploring the deep blue on a glacier, hike to the top of the Coastal Mountains on Juneau's seemingly endless trail system or find a remote beach at the end of our road system. The outdoor enthusiast will find no shortage of activities to fill their free time, or companions to recreate with. We strive to schedule 1 - 2 days off per week throughout the summer so our team can relax, recharge, and explore.
We do not provide employee housing, however...
Juneau is a seasonal destination for government workers in the winter, and tourism-based crews in the summer. While ample housing is available for seasonal workers, the best opportunities go fast! Upon hire, we recommended pursuing housing opportunities immediately - we can help connect you with realistic housing options, and will do everything we can to help you find a place to lay your head.
How to Apply
Submit resume and fully completed application by clicking Apply Now!