Creative opportunity with on-site farm, minutes from Joshua Tree National Park!
Located at the historic Oasis of Mara, minutes from the north entrance of Joshua Tree National Park, and one hour from the Mojave Trails National Monument.
- 29 Palms, California
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (May 16, 2018)
The Chef will plan, direct, and coordinate all back of house operations for the 29 Palms Inn restaurant. In this leadership role they will inspire, educate, collaborate, foster potential, and strengthen the overall vision and culture. The Chef will help creatively utilize the farm to table concept, locally sourced ingredients, with a health-conscious philosophy to create menus that embrace both plant-based cuisine and whole animal butchery, with a historical interest in food in the region.
Working directly with the Farm’s Director and Horticulturist with crop planning and development, menus are to move with the seasons. Our menus are developed collaboratively, with input from owners, kitchen coordinator, and cooks. In this collaborative spirit, the Chef will lead the development of recipes that are rooted in classical technique, while applying a more modern and creative approach to execution, plating, and scope. The Chef will also work with catering and events coordinator on special events.
Strong leadership and communication skills are paramount; we expect kindness, patience, and respect, with the ability to keep yourself and team calm, focused, and flexible. The kitchen is to be run in an ethically and financially sustainable way. Overseeing and implementing efficient systems to manage labor and food costs, food quality, equipment maintenance, and scheduling. The job includes training staff and upkeep on safety standards, procedures, and audits, as well as holding regular meetings with staff, owners, and administrators.
Essential Job Functions
- Demonstrate a drive for operational excellence: maintaining food quality and safety standards, overseeing all phases of food procurement, including inventory and ordering, storage and rotation, as well as food preparation, recipe adherence, plate presentation, and service and production time standards.
- Maintain standards by doing daily line checks and food tasting, respond to guest feedback, ongoing staff training/supervision, consistency.
- Work with General Manager/Owner, Farm Director, kitchen coordinator, and FOH manager, as appropriate, to plan and price menu items.
- Establish portion sizes and prepare standardized recipes for all new and existing menu items.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition. Ensures that deliveries are performed in accordance with the Inn’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Create SOP's for proper food handling, food cost & usage, recipes, waste control, equipment, labor, and training.
- Be knowledgeable of the Inn’s policies regarding personnel corrective action and administer prompt, fair and consistent action plans for violations of rules, policies, or procedures.
- Continually strive to develop your staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Work with Events Manager to promote, price, and plan menus based on the customers’ requirements.
- Build the quality of the kitchen staff by selecting, scheduling, training, mentoring, managing, and leading the team according to the Inn’s principles of teamwork and hospitality.
- Ensure that all kitchen staff are taking required rest and lunch breaks and that they are diligent about timecards: clocking in and out as required by law. The Chef is required to report any violations to the General Manager.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- 3-5 years of culinary management experience required; Culinary degree preferred
- High volume production and catering experience is essential
- Previous experience managing cost controls
- Desire to learn and grow with a high-quality foodservice company
- Valid driver’s license required; reliable transportation to be able to drive between properties, and other locations as needed
How to Apply
Upload your cover letter & resume to our Career Opportunities page at 29PalmsInn.com