Vista Verde Ranch
Spend a season working on a guest ranch on the Western Slopes of the Continental Divide
Fun atmosphere and lots of perks! At the Vista Verde Ranch, you can have the opportunity to work, live and play for pay at one of America's premiere guest ranches. Vista Verde is the place for you if you love to work hard, play hard, and don’t mind living in a beautiful and remote mountainous area!
Our guests are offered a full vacation program that includes horseback riding, cattle working, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, white water rafting, kayaking, hot air ballooning, fly fishing, paddle boarding, yoga, plus much more during the summer months. We offer a similarly full program in the winter that includes miles of groomed and back-country cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
Our guests stay in beautifully appointed cabins or lodge rooms and are treated to delectable dining - all within the grandeur of the West, in the Rocky Mountain high country, 25 miles north of Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Our summer season runs from mid-May through October. Preference is given to those applicants able to show up mid-May and commit through the end of the season with the possibility of being re-hired for the winter. Our winter season runs from mid-December through the end of March. Because we are in the hospitality business, we work when most others vacation. Therefore, all winter applicants must be available to work over the holiday season.
We are currently accepting applications winter 2014/15 as well as summer 2015.
- Chef- Summer
- Seeking a clean working chef with previous experience and the ability to work in all areas of the kitchen. Would be responsible for food prep, proper sanitation practices, line work, as well as effectively working with the culinary team. Must have a willingness to serve and positively interact with
- Dishwasher- Summer
- The summer dishwasher would be responsible for maintaining a clean and functional dish area, they must work well under pressure quickly and efficiently, maintain a tidy staff room, complete pool & hot tub maintenance, and be open to the possibly of jumping in on other ranch projects.
- Fly Fishing Guide- Summer
- A love for people, outdoors and teaching is essential. Fly guides teach basic and advanced fly-fishing techniques, through both casting lessons, lake fishing and on-stream instruction to guests of all ages.
- Front Desk- Summer
- This person is the face of the ranch. Must have great communication skills, knowledge and love of hospitality as well as an eagerness to learn and think on their feet. They will aid in daily check-ins, email & phone correspondence, and general guest communications. Must be highly detail oriented.
- Hiking/Mountain Biking Guide- Summer
- Fit, outdoor-loving, positive, enthusiastic individuals who can teach biking techniques, lead trail bike rides and offer on the spot instruction. For hiking guides a healthy, active life-style, love for people, and knowledge of the outdoors is essential. Up to date First Aid/CPR required.
- Housekeeper- Summer
- No previous experience required, only a willingness to work hard in an upscale hospitality focused environment. Responsible for the day to day cleanliness of guest cabins, facilities, and lodge. An individual with attention to detail and a positive attitude would be a great fit for this position.
- Kid Supervisor- Summer
- Enthusiastic, fun-loving, creative individuals with a love for kids, horses, and the great outdoors would be a great fit for this position. Supervise kids while participating with them in horseback rides, various activities, games and events. Must be available from Mid-May to end of August.
- Ranch Hand- Summer
- We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic, active, hardy individuals with squeaky clean driving records. They will be responsible for basic maintenance, machine operation, vehicle upkeep, guest transport, guest luggage, landscape work, stocking firewood and set-up for weekly activities.
- Server- Summer
- We are seeking outgoing individuals with a love of hospitality and service. Applicants must have a desire to learn about upscale food & wine service, enjoy guest interaction, have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and maintain a clean and professional appearance.
- Wrangler- Summer
- Seeking enthusiastic, outgoing, hardworking individuals to lead guest trail rides, care for horses including daily feeding, grooming, and some vet work. Interaction with guests on rides; saddling horses, mounting riders with the possibility of conducting riding lessons. Horse experience is required.
Room and Board
Housing is bunkhouse style. Unfortunately, we don't have housing suitable for married couples, nor is it possible to have any private housing. It is imperative you respect the space and belongings of your roommates. Bed linens, pillows, and towels are provided. Storage space is very limited, so please pack appropriately. We will supply a suggested gear list to new employees.
Our compensation package consists of a base salary, and an equitable share of the tip pool. Because we believe every staff member contributes equally to the overall guest experience, the tip share for all staff members is also equal. There is no extra financial benefit for working in one position or another. Room and board is provided at a nominal daily rate.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Vista Verde Ranch is located approximately 25 miles from Steamboat Springs and Steamboat Resorts. Staff are welcome to bring a vehicle to the ranch, and about half our staff do just that. However, vehicles must be parked in designated staff parking areas, and special arrangements need to be made for trailers.
If you choose to fly, our closest airport is in Hayden, CO (Yampa Valley Regional Airport). It’s approximately one hour from the ranch and we would be happy to pick you up there. Otherwise, you can take a shuttle from the Denver airport to Steamboat Springs, CO and we would pick you up in town.
Summer: mountain biking, horse back riding, hiking, fly-fishing, hot tub and fitness center are all available on the property.
Winter: cross country skiing, back country skiing, sledding, snow-shoeing, hot tub and fitness center.
How to Apply
Please learn more about us at our website before you apply. You'll find complete job descriptions as well as our application procedures.
We look forward to hearing from you!
***All applicants must pass a drug test prior to their date of employment. Refusal to submit to testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration. Any applicant who tests positive for illegal use of drugs will not be hired, this includes marijuana.