The Boundary Waters Canoe Area at your Doorstep!
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at Gunflint Lodge and Gunflint Northwoods Outfitters. Take a moment to read the following information which will give you an idea of what Gunflint is like and our expectations of prospective employees.
Employment with Gunflint Lodge and Gunflint Northwoods Outfitters gets you one step closer to realizing these activities and discovering your adventurous spirit. Be prepared to see moose, black bear, white tail deer, fox, lynx, rabbit, wolves, and a host of song birds and birds of prey. You might be thinking to yourself, “are these people nuts??”
We live 45 miles from the nearest town of Grand Marais, MN in a cell phone free area (meaning there is no cell phone coverage once you leave town) and satellite internet is spotty, at best. Duluth, MN is the closest major city located 3 hours from our property.
More detailed job descriptions can be found on our Job Posting page.
Jobs in the Spotlight
Gunflint Lodge - Gunflint Lodge on the Gunflint Trail, northeast MN, edge of the BWCA wilderness area
Posted: Nov 20, 2014
Help Wanted Now - Outfitter, Bartender/Server, Housekeeper,...
- Breakfast/Lunch Cook
- Take part in food preparation, teamwork as well as individual effort, creative ideas, and an amusing work environment. You will be expected to assist in prepping, preparing, and plating breakfast and lunch in one of the finer restaurants of the area.
- Cooks, Servers, Housekeepers, Front Desk Associates
- Dining Room Server
- Shifts include breakfast, lunch and dinner. All meals are relatively casual dining. You will also be expected to know a lot about the lodge since guests are often curious about the history of this 75+ year old lodge and the fascinating area that it is located in.
- Instruct guests on boat usage, preparing motors, canoes, kayaks, and pontoons for guest usage, Upkeep of the marina area and equipment. You may be expected to help with the sale of bait and filleting of fish. Additional duties include: wood/kindling delivery to cabins, daily trash pick-up, etc.
- Guest Services/Front Desk
- Job duties may include guest orientation, reservation taking, data entry, telephone answering, answering guest questions, and any other duties that may be asked. Must be Organized, logical, happy and level-headed with exceptional communication skills. Computer skills necessary.
- Daily cleaning of the Main Lodge guest areas; daily housekeeping services for up to 24 cabins (1-5 bedroom in size); attention to detail a must! Requirements: Valid Driver's License; detail oriented; self-motivated; works well without constant supervision.
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Responsible for daily operation of housekeeping team including organizing daily workload, supervising cleaning crew, assist cleaning crew with cleaning cabins and main lodge, and conducting cabin checks. Must have ability to take direction from housekeeping manager, motivate/train others.
- Kitchen Assistant
- Work as part of the kitchen team enabling our restaurant to perform as smoothly and efficiently as possible. In addition, the kitchen is often an extremely amusing work environment! You will be expected to help with food preparation, kitchen cleaning, and dishes.
- Line Cook
- Take part in food preparation, teamwork, creative ideas, and an amusing work environment. You will be expected to assist in prepping, preparing, plating dinner in one of the finer restaurants of the area.
- Massage Therapist
- Responsibilities include packing of food/equipment, hauling canoes, equipment, people to various landings in the area, cleaning returned equipment, group meal service, cleaning bunkhouse and bathrooms. Must be 21.
- Outfitter, Bartender/Server, Housekeeper, Maintenance
Our Ideal Candidate
Perhaps the two most important qualities we look for in our team are a cheerful attitude and the willingness to go the extra mile. Resort and outfitting work means long, hard, and sometimes irregular hours. It is certainly not a paid vacation.
The schedules are set for 40 hours per week. Although you may be hired for a specific position, there are times when you may be called upon to fulfill other job duties. In a resort atmosphere we all pitch in wherever necessary to get the job done. With that in mind, we are looking for applicants who are extremely flexible and like a variety of work.
In order to maintain the level of our guest's expectations we've established certain standards that we expect you to abide by. All employees must appear neat and well groomed. We provide uniform shirts for everyone and expect you to have pants (without holes) appropriate to the position you are hired for. A more detailed description of uniform and grooming requirements will be provided when you are hired.
Room and Board
Dormitory style accommodations are available, if desired, here on the grounds at the cost of $190.00 per person per month and includes your water, electric, heat, trash disposal, cleaning supplies . This is for a shared room with 1 other person. The room has a private bath with shower, toilet, sink , kitchen area with two burner built in cook-top, sink, cupboards, microwave convection oven, fridge/freezer. You are responsible for your own meals.
There is a public Laundromat at the campground next door. We do not receive any Cell phone reception, Internet access, TV or radio reception. You may bring your own TV/VCR or CD play if you would like.
Most positions pay between $7.25 and $8.50 an hour. Recreational equipment is available for use at a minimal charge. However, all of our facilities and equipment are for guests' use first. Walk to work! Minimal wear and tear on your vehicle.
- Excellent opportunity to meet new friends from all over U.S. and other countries
- Excellent opportunity to explore the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota. See www.gunflintoutfitters.com
Benefits for your family: Your immediate family receives a 25% discount on a stay at the resort cabins or outfitters bunkhouse.
We encourage guests and staff to get out and explore the area on foot, by canoe or motor boat, or with our staff naturalists. Staff benefits include 25% off purchase in our gift shops, restaurants, and immediate family overnight cabin stays. All staff can participate in horseback trail riding and the Towering Pines Canopy Tour, and use camping gear at reduced rates for overnight hiking or camping and canoeing trips into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
Getting Here and Getting Around
Driving Directions can be found on our website.
The nearest airport is in Duluth. We can arrange transportation to get you to the lodge.
The famed Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Quetico Provincial Park of Ontario are at your doorstep!
How to Apply
Please complete and submit our online application.
The use of drugs, and the abuse or underage use of liquor are not tolerated.