Working in the USA

Are you a non-US citizen interested in working in the United States?

The Exchange Visitor Program fosters global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges.  All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences. Click to read more about WORK AND TRAVEL ELIGIBILITY AND FEES

In order to work for the employers listed on Cool Works, you will need to have the appropriate work visa. Many of the international workers who work temporarily in the US are international students with a Designated Sponsoring Agency and participating in the Work and Travel Program, with a J-1 Visa.

There are twelve different categories of the J-1 Visa. The three most common categories for international workers who qualify for the Work and Travel Program with Employers listed on Cool Works are:

  • Summer Work & Travel Visa - allows foreign students to work in the U.S. for four months in guest service positions.
  • Camp Counselor Visa - Allows foreign students to work at a summer camp as a camp counselor.
  • J-1 Trainee Visa - allows foreign students and professionals to train with a U.S.-based host organization for up to 18 months.The qualifications for these visas vary depending on your country of residence.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: It is best to contact an agency and begin the process of obtaining your work visa BEFORE you apply to any employers listed on Cool Works. Most employers require that you have a Designated Sponsoring Agency.

Other Temporary Work Visas for the U.S.

H-2B Visa -  Employers must be labor certified by their State Labor Department and the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in order to offer the H-2B visa.  This Visa allows temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers in the US for up to 10 months.